Laramie 100
July 2, 2007
Alex Morton
I ran in the Laramie 100 mile Run on June 30th/July 1st and had had about as much fun as I wanted. The reason I stopped after
11 laps of the 5.8-mile loop was because I wanted to stop…it was that simple! I started to think of some “good” reasons to
stop and realized I didnÂ’t need any other than I wanted to stop. So after 63.8 miles and 17.5 hours, I crawled in the back of my
car and went to sleep.
Of the fifteen 100 milers than I have run, I have had three 100Â’s where I didnÂ’t finish for various other reasons, but this one
was because I just didnÂ’t want to run anymore. I wanted to try a moderately hard western 100 and I think this one was a good
one to try: 8800 feet elevation, (so the air was a little thinner than Charleston air), plus 13,000 feet of cumulative vertical climb,
which is more than I have run before.
When I look back at what I might have done different, I think I went out way to fast, something I seldom do in ultras. I have
learned that a slow start is best for me. I had had a little faster start at the Umstead 100 miler this year, so I thought I would
continue to go out at a little faster pace. (In fact, I know I started out too fast!!!! because I remember thinking this could be a “20-
hour” 100…so I got a little grandiose for a moment and needed to be leveled out or something!)
My first two loops were 1:07 and 1:12, while later I settled into 1:30 to 1:40Â’s. My last loop was 2:18, which came from several
reasons, but mostly from loss of appetite and thus not eating much, so not much fuel for energy. I have dealt with this faze of
loss of appetite before and can usually find something that tastes good, but I wasnÂ’t able to find it this time. So I was moving
I donÂ’t know what effect high altitude had on me. I didnÂ’t ever feel short of breath or dizzy. I did feel some mild nausea at times.
I mostly had difficulty getting my heart going at the rate I wanted. I usually like to run at 126-132 beats per minute, but had to work
hard to keep my heart above 120 while going downhill. Somehow I had left my watch beeper “on” for the heart rate limits that I
have programmed in to help me run efficiently” no higher than 166 and no lower than 120. So alarms was constantly going off
from running to slow and again I had to work hard to get my rate up! This may have all been related to food, but possibly high
This run started at 9;00 AM which is later than most 100 milers that I have run. When I started calculating my finish time based
even on my worst laps, I certainly could have finished within the 30-hour time limit, but my projected time would have been about
2:30 PM, which was more than the heat and sunshine than I wanted on the second day. We had had a relatively warm Saturday
(90F) and Sunday was projected to be warmer, so I didnÂ’t want to be out there. Those were some of my thoughts and
experiences that night. IÂ’m always learning from these long runs.